WHAT IS THE SCHENGEN AREA AND A SCHENGEN VISA?
If you are a non European and you plan to travel to Europe, you may need to apply for a Schengen Visa. The Schengen Visa Scheme is a scheme that allows those wishing to visit certain countries within the European Economic Area.
A list of the Schengen countries is shown below.
DO I NEED A SCHENGEN VISA?
Holders of any European Economic Area (EU, Iceland, Norway, Liechtenstein) or Switzerland passport do not need a visa for the Schengen area, and are generally allowed to stay for as long as they want.
Or if you are from any of the countries shown below then you don’t need a Schengen visa.
|ALBANIA (*)||ANDORRA||ANTIGUA & BERMUDA|
|ARGENTINA||AUSTRALIA||BAHAMAS & BARBADOS|
|BULGARIA & ROMANIA||BOSNIA & HERZEGOVINA (*)||BRAZIL|
|COLUMBIA (****)||COSTA RICA||CROATIA & CYPRUS|
|GUATEMALA||HONDURAS||HONG KONG (1)|
|MACEDONIA (*)||MOLDOVA (*)||MALAYSIA|
|MONTENEGRO (*)||NEW ZEALAND||NICARAGUA|
|SAINT KITTS AND NEVIS||SAN MARINO||SERBIA (*/**)|
|TAIWAN (***) (Republic of China)||SALVADOR||SWITZERLAND|
|UNITED STATES OF AMERICA||UNITED KINGDOM||URUGUAY|
|UNITED ARAB EMIRATES||VATICAN CITY||VENEZUELA|
|(****) FROM 2016 CITIZENS OF COLUMBIA AND PERU WILL BE ABLE TO TRAVEL TO SCHENGEN ZONE (FOR UP TO 90 DAYS) - BIOMETRIC OR ELECTRONIC PASSPORT WITH CHIP ON COVER REQUIRED|
|SPECIAL ADMINISTRATIVE REGIONS OF THE PEOPLE'S REPUBLIC OF CHINA ENJOY VISA FREE TRAVEL|
|HONG KONG S.A.R. (NOTE 1) - THE VISA EXEMPTION APPLIES ONLY TO HOLDERS OF A "HONG KONG SPECIAL ADMINISTRATIVE REGION" PASSPORT.|
|MACAO S.A.R. (NOTE 2) THE VISA EXEMPTION APPLIES ONLY TO HOLDERS OF A "REGIÃO ADMINISTRATIVA ESPECIAL DE MACAU" PASSPORT.|
|TURKEY (NOTE 3) GREEN PASSPORT HOLDERS ONLY ENJOY VISA FREE TRAVEL|
(*) nationals of Albania, Bosnia & Herzegovina, Macedonia, Moldova, Montenegro and Serbia need a biometric or electronic passport to enjoy visa-free travel.
Individuals in the following category can enter Schengen Area: BULGARIA, CROATIA, CYPRUS, ROMANIA
CAN I APPLY FOR A SCHENGEN VISA?
FOR APPLYING FOR ANY EURO TOUR EXCEPT TO FRANCE
Check your passport and the UK Visa. You will need about 5 months remaining valid on that visa to be able to have enough time to apply. This will allow you to book the appointment, have the visa processed and passport returned for your travel and the required 3 months remaining valid on the UK visa after the tour returns.
FOR APPLYING FOR A TOUR TO FRANCE.
Check your passport and UK Visa. You need minimum 7 months total UK visa to apply with about 5 months remaining valid on it. This will allow you to book the appointment, have the visa processed and passport returned for your travel and the required 3 months remaining valid on the UK visa after the tour returns.
I CAN APPLY FOR A SCHENGEN VISA – WHAT DO I DO NOW?
1. For going to France use TLScontact (see box below) or visa application centre for any other tour and apply for the main destination country you are travelling to. If you are travelling more than once to the Schengen area then apply at the embassy of the country you stay for the most amount of time, or if equal time in each main destination then its the first country you stay in.
You can apply for a single entry visa, double entry visa (twice) or multiple entry visa (3 or more times entry to Schengen area).
2. Pay for the tour with UKstudy Tours (which should be departing at least 2 or 3 weeks after your appointment date to ensure visa process is completed) and contact us to get a visa letter showing hotel accommodation (which you will need with other paperwork for your appointment - see below for other items required)
3. Take your visa letter and ticket with all your required items to the embassy appointment (see below for the list of items you generally need)
4. If you are not successful in your application for the Schengen visa then contact UKstudy Tours immediately to receive your money back for the tour (other cost involved unfortunately cannot be refunded).
LIST OF ITEMS GENERALLY NEEDED FOR EMBASSIES
- Completed application form
- Your passport or travel document which must be valid and in date. This must contain your student visa (which must be valid for at least 3 months longer than the validity of the Schengen visa applied for) Your passport must have a blank page to affix the Schengen visa sticker.
- 1 x passport photo
- Health insurance to the value of at least 30,000 EU. Insurance is available from the Post Office, large supermarkets or various providers online The insurance company will provide you with a letter or certificate to include with your application
- Proof of travel plans this will be the tour ticket and UKstudy visa letter available on request.
- Proof of accommodation this will be on the visa letter we can send on request.
- Proof of financial means. You should have approx. £60 per day available to you for the duration of your visit. You should provide bank statements covering the last 3 months or travellers cheques for the relevant amount to prove this.
- Schengen visa fee. This varies from country to country and will be about £50 to £80 normally.
- Self-addressed special delivery envelope. This is so that the Embassy can post your passport and / or documents back to you when a decision has been made and is available from all post offices.
- Copies of all documents provided. Generally, you will be expected to take both originals and copies of all your documents to your appointment with you.
- Letter from Parents giving permission to travel on a tour abroad (under 18s only)
HOW DO I MAKE AN APPOINTMENT OR CONTACT THE EMBASSY?
See below for an application centre which can process visa application for some countries and also the embassy contact details for countries we travel to.
The whole process may take up to 6 weeks to get and appointment and receive your visa so please keep this in mind for your travel. It is worth noting that arranging a Schengen visa can be much cheaper and quicker if arranged in country of origin before you arrive in the UK.
Joint Visa Application Centre
RECOMMENDED SERVICE FOR MOST VISA APPLICATIONS
Application centre can process a Schengen visa for: Netherlands, Germany, Switzerland, Belgium, Italy, Sweden, Denmark & Spain
NOTE: For travelling to FRANCE see box below - contact TLS not the joint visa application centre
The application centre's helpline number is 0871 376 0023 (line open from 8:30 to 17:30 Monday-Friday).
Email help address: firstname.lastname@example.org
APPOINTMENT ALWAYS REQUIRED - call the telephone number below or follow the links from the boxes below for any main destination country for appointment.
TO BOOK AN APPOINTMENT FOR SCHENGEN VISA APPLICATION:
PHONE 09067 530 530
You will need when you phone: full name, passport number, passport valid from date/expiry date, your contact number and email address, your UK residence address, dates of travel.
Directions to Joint Visa Application Centre
Embassy of France
Visa applications are processed by appointment only at TLScontact centre:
Exhibition house, Suite 18,
Appointment: To book an appointment, go to the TLScontact website or call 0845 7300 118, Monday to Friday, 8.30am to 4.30.
Embassy of the Netherlands (Holland)
The Netherlands embassy outsources visa appointments to VFS and you can book an appointment online by following the instructions on the link below
OR USE: Joint Visa Application Centre (see above)
Embassy of Belgium
The Belgian embassy outsources visa appointments to VFS and you can book an appointment online by following the instructions on the link below
Embassy of Italy
OR USE: Joint Visa Application Centre (see above)
Embassy of Germany
The German embassy outsources visa appointments to VFS and you can book an appointment online by following the instructions on the link below
Embassy of Denmark
VISA FOR IRELAND
You can get information and apply for a visa for Ireland by clicking here: http://www.inis.gov.ie/en/INIS/Pages/Irish%20Visa%20Information
Online Application form: https://www.visas.inis.gov.ie/avats/OnlineHome.aspx
Citizens of the following countries do not require a visa to enter Ireland. (List of Countries)
(see below for more nationals who do not need a visa below on short stay visa waiver programme).
INFORMATION NOTE - Short stay visa waiver programme allows extra nationalities to Ireland without Irish visa
The Short-stay Visa Waiver Programme was announced by the Government as part of its Jobs Initiative with a view to promoting tourism from emerging markets. It commenced on 1 July 2011. The programme will run up to end October 2016 but may be amended or expanded at any point.
The below link to a document contains current information relating to the Irish Short Stay visa waiver programme.
Information Note - Short Stay Visa Waiver programme March 2012 (Size 77KB)